Excellent Special Character Review
Every three years we have an external review of the school as a school of special character. I am pleased to say that the review of our school and the ensuing report are excellent. The full report is here, but here are some snippets from the report:
"The faith-based leadership of board, leadership and staff can be seen in the behaviour and attitudes of ākonga (students).
Strong faith based leadership also flows into effective curriculum leadership and the desired
impact is growth and development of ākonga (students). These initiatives place St Joseph’s as a leading school in the diocese in Religious Education and integrated curriculum development.
The methodology for planning teaching and assessment is the result of effective leadership and staff collaboration and a strong focus on the growth and faith development of ākonga. This curriculum development is impacting positively on the growth and development of ākonga (students) who are immersed in faith and knowledge.
Staff also convey a “sense of belonging, feeling blessed and supported.”
Parents spoken to showed a great appreciation for the opportunities their children receive to grow and develop in their faith.
The rapport between ākonga and Kaiako (teachers) at junior, middle and senior levels was natural, engaging and mutually respectful and reflected well the spiritual culture and values of the school."
We are very happy that our report reflects what we think is important and indicates that we are successful in our aims.
Revisioning and Community Connection
After our movie earlier this term we got lots of parent feedback to help the Board with strategic planning and revisioning for St Joseph's. Two of the strong themes that came out of it for the way that St Joseph's is seen, was love (aroha) and family (whanau).
This next step is to find out more about what you want about specifics and the choices we have to make for our school - and yes we will be looking at uniform too.
To do this, again we need your input at a Family Fun Evening.
Family Fun Evening - Friday 28th October starting at 5.30pm at St Joseph's
- Bring your own takeaway tea and we will have a picnic celebration outside (hopefully it's fine or in the hall if it's not fine).
- Games with prizes will be organised for the children
- We encourage the children to dress up and there will be prizes for the most imaginative costumes.
- There will be boards set up in the staffroom for parents to share your ideas and vote on the areas you think are most important. This will not be a difficult or time-consuming task. There will be a raffle prize and tickets given to every parent who participates.
- The questions we will be considering will be given out by the start of next term so you can consider them in advance.
After this, our Board will be able to draft some vision statements and strategic goals which will also be given out for feedback before we finalise them.
We hope to start 2023 with a new vision statement, and a clear idea of what this will look like and be like in our school.
Ma te Atua e manaaki a aroha,