Saturday 25th July - Joseph & Sebastian Spillane, Maximus Fatafehi and Vince Vidallon
Sunday 26th July - Cameron & Laura Mather, Antonia Black and Tess McAtamney
Siva Katoa, Fritz Arsi, Daniel Gilbert and Bella Moriarty
Home & School
Today you will receive the term 3 fundraiser which is a First Aid Kit information and order sheet. Please support this fundraiser by getting as many orders as you can for these kits. They are great value and could be a gift for friends and family, for the car, caravan or boat. The order forms along with the money are due back to the office (cash or cheque) by Thursday 6th August. Any questions, please contact Rachel on 437 1992 or 027 237 8234.
Jack Paton has lost a named Katmandu Blue polar fleece which he had for a week. Please check your child's clothing to see if it was picked up by mistake.
On Tuesday 11th August we will be having our annual school cross country. We are holding the cross country at the Oamaru Racecourse. The entrance for parents will be through the main southern entrance and we will be gathering at the main grandstand. Supporters can watch the races from behind the fences as you are not allowed on the track.
There is a timetable of approximate times for each race. Children will run in their year level and not age groups as in previous years. Children can wear their PE gear to school and have with them warm trousers (navy or black), school jersey or jacket, and a drink bottle.
Any children with asthma or allergies are to make sure they have with them any medications required and hand them to their class teacher.
The whole school will be travelling out by bus at 9.30 am
Yr 8 10.00 am
Yr 7 10.20 am
Yr 6 10:40 am
Yr 5 11.00 am
Yr 4 11.15 am
Yr 3 11:00 am
Yr 2 10.15 am
Yr 1/NE 10.30 am
We are still collecting any Colgate oral care products like tooth brushes, toothpaste and boxes, mouth freshener, dental floss containers etc. Please drop them into the box at the office. This drive is open to the end of August.
We warmly welcome 4 new students who started at our school this week. Kaycee-Mae Gibbins and Mikayla Criddle who are new entrants and Ella Brown is Yr 8 and Conavar Brown is Yr 6.
Congratulations to our St Joseph's football players, Lloyd Gutierez, Ben Cullimore and Christian Baillie who made the North Otago U13 grade Football rep team and to Samuel Plieger for making the U11 grade. Matthew Gough also made the U11 grade. The U13 boys will travel to Queenstown for their tournament in the September holidays and the U11 boys go to Nelson. All the boys will play against other regions in the lead up to their tournaments. Good luck.
'Called by Christ Programme' Sign Up Form
One of our synod initiatives is a discussion programme, 'Called by Christ' around the theme "The Joy of the Gospel". This is a prepared programme which will form the basis for discussion in small home based groups. The programme will run for four weeks from mid July to mid August. We are inviting all parishioners to take part in this programme and have included a sign-up form which is sent as an attachment. If you need further information, please contact Elaine at the parish office on 434 8543, Jocelyn Marsh on 027 552 2756 or Jan Plieger on 437 0077. Please drop the signed forms back at the school office.
July and August are when we normally see a spike in influenza cases in New Zealand. This year the prevailing influenza strain in the South Island is the 'B' variety, which can affect people of all ages but tends to hit children particularly hard.
The current influence vaccine contains both A and B strains and therefore should provide good protection against the illness for those who are vaccinated. The Government has extended its influenza vaccine programme until the end of August, which means the vaccine is free for people over 65, pregnant women and people with chronic health conditions and lowered immunity. To find out if you or your child will be eligible, phone your practice nurse or look up the Ministry of Health's website (www.moh.govt.nz) Anyone else can still receive the flue vaccine through their GP or some pharmacies but will need to pay for it.
To limit the spread of the flu, please:
- Keep your child home from school/day care if they are sick and don't send them back until they are well.
- Remind your child to cover their mouth or nose with a tissue when they cough and sneeze and to put the tissue into a lined bin.
- Remind your child to wash their hands regularly, particularly after coughing/sneezing.
For more information, please contact your public health nurse: Nikki McMillan on 027 223 8468
- 10 Week Challenge - starting this week at the Waitaki Rec Centre on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 9.00 to 10.00 am. It is not too late to register at www.sportsground.co.nz/waitakicrc/88983/ or contact the Rec Centre on 4346932 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jennian Homes Junior Netball Academy - is back again for term 3. It starts on Friday 31st July and goes to Friday 18th September. The academy provides quality coaching experiences to young netballers aged 8-14 years old of all abilities. It costs $100 per player and you can register on line at http://www.mynetball.co.nz/zones/south/community-netball/junior-netball-academy/registration.html . Flyer attached.
- South Island Secondary School Canoe Polo Championships - will be held at the Waitaki Aquatic Centre on Friday 7th, Saturday 8th and Sunday 9th August. There will be 26 teams competing so go down and have a look. There is no charge for spectators.
- Next Magazine Woman of the Year Competition - this competition is used to celebrate the success stories of New Zealand's most inspirational female achievers. There are six categories: Education, Community, Health and Science, Business and Innovation, Arts and Culture and Sport. If you would like to nominate a person who you think fits into one of these categories, go to the link http://www.next.co.nz/woty/ Entries close on the 31st July.
- Footsteps Home Based Care - is a complimentary service that provides support and resources for home-based educators (and nannies) as well as a fun, personalised learning programme for children under the age of 6 years from a qualified and registered teacher. Flyer attached.
- Plunket Fundraiser - 'What a Woman Wants' (Learn what to wear and how to wear it) - held at the Loan and Merc Building at 14 Harbourt St, Oamaru on Monday 24th August. Doors open at 7.00 pm and show starts at 7.30 pm. Tickets cost $25 which includes a complimentary drink and light supper. Cash bar and raffles available. Buy tickets from BNZ.